Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Singapore: Chinatown, Merlion & Lau Pa Sat Festival Pavilion

Even before we had any inkling that we may be moving to Asia, I have wanted to visit Singapore. The allure of the cuisine alone was reason enough to traverse any amount of miles! So when given the opportunity to tag along on one of Jon's business trips I jumped at the chance. Jon was presenting at conferences all day and preparing all night, so I was pretty much left to explore Singapore on my own - which was no problem, my friend. No problem at all!!!

When I woke to an amazing view from our hotel on Orchard Street I knew I was out for an equally amazing day!

For day 1 I scheduled a Hippo Tour (hop on, hop off). It was the perfect way to orient myself to all the little neighborhoods and get the lay of the land. Loved it!!!

My first stop was Chinatown. I hopped off directly in front of Singapore's oldest Hindu temple, Sri Mariamman Temple.



Next it was on to the markets for some shopping! Yes, I live in Hong Kong, and no, I still can't get enough of Chinatown shopping. I love to haggle! Plus, if you search for it, you can always find something incredible that you can't get anywhere else.

Me celebrating after finding a great deal and eating an awesome meal...red pepper chicken...mmmm!




Just a few blocks from the Hindu temple I found the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Museum. At first I was a little sheepish walking inside the temple with my camera, but I soon found that they were very encouraging of photography. Seriously? Enough said. I took waaaay too many photos. But really, how could I not?




You could visit each of the 4 floors and the gardens on top, although you couldn't take photos of the tooth relic itself.

The detail of the temple was unbelievable. Behind each of the tiny windows that line these walls was an even tinier statue.

On the rooftop is the Ten Thousand Buddhas Pavilion surrounded by gardens. It was one of the coolest things I've seen. Inside is this prayer wheel - a giant column from ground to ceiling. It has a rail at waist level which you hold to turn the entire column as you slowly pace around. There are some soft bells that chime with each turn the wheel makes. The name "Ten Thousand Buddhas" must refer to the walls of the pagoda which are covered in miniature Buddha figurines. What a sight.



The gardens were beautiful & serene. It was really hot outside so I didn't mind enjoying the shade, especially with all the orchids surrounding me.


In the Hundred Dragon Hall people were attending a ceremony and chanting.








After finishing up at the Buddhist temple I hopped toward the Marina Bay Sands.


The view inside looking up was impressive.

Next I landed at Merlion Park on the river. What a gorgeous day!



The merlion (head of a lion, body of a fish) is Singapore's mascot.








I've never seen anything like these "hairy" trees.

Jon and I met up for dinner at Lau Pa Sat Festival Pavilion. The Pavilion itself was vey cool, a victorian cast-iron structure built in 1894, with all kids of filigree and archways. It was one of Singapore's first markets.




THIS is what I had been waiting for: Singapore stall food!!! It didn't disappoint. Can I just say, SATAY! Wow. We also had noodles, greens and sting ray. I don't feel bad about eating sting ray. Those things give me the creeps, but are surprisingly delicious.

After a tummyful it was time to head back to the hotel to plan day 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment