Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Zhuhai, China

 I had a great opportunity to visit an antique furniture warehouse in Zhuhai, China with some friends.  First of all, can I say FUN!  We took a ferry from Hong Kong and then a van to the warehouse where we spent a couple hours just wondering around looking at all the treasures.  
 Even before we got inside the warehouse there were so many cool things to see, any of which would have been impressive on its own.
 Inside they had stone statues & carvings, ceramics, old wooden furniture, trunks, salvaged doors & windows, baskets, boxes, and more, more, more!
I was drooling over these huge trunks.  Each one was different and I couldn't help imagining the different places they'd come from and the different people who had owned them.
These ceramics were for alters & ancestor worship

All different sizes, shapes and colors of baskets!!! We had a guide who explained the uses of the different styles.  I ended up buying a wooden basket of sorts that was used as a 5 kilo rice measure back in the day.  It now houses a collection of children's books in my living room.  And I love it.
You could choose any furniture piece you liked, then they could restore it to your liking.  Aren't the windows on this back wall gorgeous?

So many baskets.  There were several rooms that looked like this!

Balinese masks

On the walls of the warehouse they had jagged pieces of glass set into the concrete to discourage people from sneaking in, a la barbed wire.
 After we finished at the warehouse we were treated to a huge and delicious lunch by the owners.  I guess we must have been good customers!  We then headed to a market for a little more shopping.
 Where there are flags, there are sales!  Which makes me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment